Summer Learning Journey – Super Seesaw – Explore Levers and Catapults

I am so excited about this post.  I have been waiting to do some Nanogirl science activities.  I watched Nanogirl making a seesaw and using it as a catapult.  Then I had to try and make a catapult with my science toolkit that I gathered earlier in the Summer Learning Journey. For this task I had to use a cardboard tube, string, blue tack, long handled spoon and a projectile of my choice.

Here is a picture of my seesaw catapult before I tested it.

Then comes the fun part.  Testing my creation.  How many times do you think I was able to hit my target?

Unfortunately I only got the target once.  It was very frustrating.  But I wasn’t going to give up until I got the target at least once.  I am proud of the perseverance I used until I reached my goal.  I had to evaluate and problem solve to get my goal.  I changed the direction the spoon was pointing and also the distance that the target (cup) was from the spoon a few times.  Eventually I got the right combo.

Even though it was hard, I still had lots of fun.

2 thoughts on “Summer Learning Journey – Super Seesaw – Explore Levers and Catapults

1. Ka pai Leeya. I’m glad you were persistent and kept going. I noticed in the video that you changed the position of the cup. Did you try moving the spoon so a different part was tied to the tube? I’m glad the toolkit you put together at the start of the Summer Leanring Journey was useful.

2. Kia ora Leeya,

It is awesome to hear your excitement about these two Nano girl activities of both a super seesaw and lever/ catapult. Nice work you got it in, I really appreciate your effort that kept you trying and not giving up until you got it in!!! Awesome ideas, I like how you used different strategies to ensure you got the direction and distance right. Are you going to try different targets that you can hit? like for example a tall vase or a shallow small dish.

Keep up the great work!
    Manar Mahmoud (SLJ)